Friday, September 17, 2010

oconomowoc redux and Paulines

Don't think Dennis gave Pauline's its full due as an Okauchee WI institution.  The Friday Fish Fry is premium and gets even better when hor d'oevres begin at the bar i.e. Miller Lite and PBR on tap.  The actual fish fry meal is a plethora of classic fish fry - fried cod, warmed German potato salad with bacon, piquant mayo-vinaigrette cole slaw, potato pancakes with applesauce, tartar sauce and rye bread lightly covered in sea salt.  Served home style it really is the best of middle America cooking.  There is a longstanding tradition of enjoying the fish fry out of the town - thus the drive 5 miles down the road from Oconomowoc (Five O's) to Okauchee on the lake.  I used to think the fish fry developed because everyone went fishing on Friday and had it for dinner on Friday evening but I've been told otherwise.  No one really seems able to answer the question so we are taking comments from readers on the possible origin of Friday Fish Fries in the Heartland - Wisconsin specificially.  It's delish, whatever the origin.
This evening my dad suggested we play Polish poker - a card game I'd never heard of and after much coaxing we convened at the dining room table and played the game.  I asked where it came from and Dennis said "Poland" - always ready with a quick answer.  Of course neither my dad nor my aunt knew where it started, they played it with friends somewhere and were passing on the game to us.  I won.  Dennis was one point behind me and technically came in second so I shared my winnings with him - won $1 and gave him 50 cents.  So I've still got it!  Finished reading Harlan Coben "Gone for Good" and recommend it to those who enjoy a mystery.  Next - the PD James "Innocent Blood".  Good night, dw

1 comment:

  1. I remember my first Fish Fry on a cool fall Wisconsin evening. DW's Aunts treated us.....Persis and Cecile? I'm drawing a blank.....(something becoming more common than I like)...at anyrate, I thought the best part of the tradition was starting with a stiff drink! An old fashion I believe. No PBR that night....
    I thought it was a tradition started with the catholics in many regions, having mainly to do with Lent and the sacrifce of eating fish on Fridays only during Lent....grew to all year. It was probably a cheaper protein source for big catholic families.....and the "Knights of Columbus" organizations in parishes probably made it more common as a way to raise money for the parish....and of course to gather as a community (another opportunity to raise monies)
    The midwest was mostly settled with Germans/Polish? And alot of Irish/Italians settled in NY and Boston....They apparently held the tradition as well. My guess is that everything traditional "stays on" in the Midwest.....having just seen Garrison Keillor in P-town I was again reminded of the midwest and it's charming unchangeable ways.....
    I myself born and raised in P-town, remember my parents attempt at tradition on Friday nights during Lent......frozen fish sticks and french fries!!!!! I cringe now, but those were the days....feeding a hungry bunch of growing kids wasn't cheap!!!!!!
    Enjoy reading of the trip! Safe travels....and I envy yur reading time!!! Wanna take call for me tonight?
    Ciao....Tess

    ReplyDelete