Thursday, September 23, 2010

Caribou, Maine dw here

Dennis is having bad knee days and hobbling around like an old guy!  Very disconcerting to watch so tonight he's icing them hoping the swelling will go down.   I drove today and we still covered about 350 miles from Portland, ME to Caribou, ME.  Today's highlight - Eartha.  It's a giant globe created by the staff at Delorme the map company that makes road atlases.  They are headquartered in Yarmouth, ME.  The globe is 40 feet in diameter, made to scale and rotates on a giant arm at a speed of one rotation per minute.  This means it's four stories high!  As a map lover I found it fascinating in its intricacy.  Well worth a visit.  The Atlas Obscura website has again guided us to a "weird" thing to see.  All you computer savvy people can pull up Eartha on the internet and see pictures better than the ones we took.  But those pics don't have us in them!
     We've been putting in long miles - about 400 per day- and enjoying the scenery.  Fall foliage is beginning here in New England and motel prices reflect the new tourist season.   A "no vacancy" sign greeted me when I pulled in to Russel's Motel here in Caribou and a few foul words came out of my mouth.  Mrs. Russell was kind enough to find us a room here at the Caribou Inn and Convention Center for way more than she would have charged but we got a little discount probably because I looked so wasted.  And I told her I was lost.  Again.  I have been having trouble reading the road signs - some signs indicate a turn after the sign and some indicate a turn before the sign so I am frequently turning too soon or too late and having to circle around to try it again.  I got lost on the way to the guest laundry this evening.  Ended up in the front lobby with an armload of dirty clothes and was redirected to the laundry room.  I needed change anyway.  Sometimes the travel adventures are tiny ones.
     The fall colors are pretty but Dennis and I have been here before in full fall bloom so it's not as impressive to our "been there done that" selves.  Still pretty, though.  It's apparently moose hunting season (this weekend anyway - another reason for full motels) so there isn't a moose to be found.  Plenty of highway warning signs for moose.  There are deer warning signs but more moose ones.  I get nervous worrying that one of those guys will decide to cross the highway.  "Brake for moose, it could save your life" is a bumper sticker with a message I can live with.  Au revoir for now.  Tomorrow Quebec province and French!  dw

1 comment:

  1. I lOVE MOOSE.....or is it mooses? Or moosie?
    I hope you see one....
    You'll love Quebec City....crossing the St. Lawrence is beautiful....at least it was when it was all white with snow and the shipping lane was all that was open as a result of the icebreaker ahead.....the entry to the Great Lakes......reading your blog has made me hanker for drinking beer....what's that about? Maybe, now that you'll be in French Canada, I will desire a bordeaux, or perhaps just an Au lait!

    ReplyDelete