Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Still in Oconomowoc

dw went to  Milwaukie with her dad for a medical procedure he was getting, while I drove to Sheboygan to see the Kohler Arts Center.  It was a pleasant 80 mi. drive through.  Classic midwest farm country:  rolling hills, lotsa corn as well as other crops, some dairy -- small towns with lovely steepled churches.  Just the beginnings of fall foliage.  Very beautiful in a quiet way. 
  The Kohler (of kitchen and toilet fame) Museum is a really nice small museum.  Rather than trying to be a general museum displaying the history of art, it seems to concentrate on contemporary work and outsider art.  Right now it's featuring a show of humor in art.  Some I've heard of (Linda Berry, Wegman, and a couple of others) but most I haven't.  I really liked most of it (couldn't take any pics -- they didn't want pics taken, and there were too many people for me to do it anyway)  Anyway I'm glad I drove up there.
   The toilets are something special:  the men's has an egyptian motif with each sink, urinal and toilet differently decorated, and the walls and counter covered with tiles also decorated with egyptian murals.  It was REALLY something.  Apparently the women's is as good or better, but (naturally) I didn't get to see that. 
   As part of their permanent collection, the museum has a large collection of water-colors done by Kamante Gatura (he was Isak Dinesen's cook and friend) -- They're mostly pics of animals, many of "red of tooth and claw" motif.  All of outsider impressionistic style.  I really liked them.
   A side note:  we got an email suggesting we join, or friend someone (an acquaintance) on  facebook.  Also listed were some other people who we might be interested in friending or whatever.  Anyway some of them were from our address book.  I wrote Sean A. warning him that someone might have gotten into our address book, and it seemed like it was a possible threat -- virus or otherwise.  Sean wrote back telling me that that's just the way facebook works, and while caution is good, basically I just met up with life in the twenty-first century.  Sigh --  I just got a cheap cell-phone, and I think that should be enough for awhile.  DA

No comments:

Post a Comment