Monday, March 21, 2011

Spring

    It surely hasn't sprung yet, although I did get the lawn mowed a couple of days ago and I've been doing some outside work.  I cleaned and re-arranged the back patio.  Using half of a broken laundry tub (I cut the edges to square, and cleaned up  some jagged places) and a piece of granite picked up for free some months ago I made a nice outdoor coffee table.  And I placed a couple of large planters on the west side -- we'll plant some climbing sort of plants and get  afternoon shade.  It'll be a pleasant space this summer. 
   The suet feeder has finally been widely discovered and is very popular.  The usual small lbjs (little brown jobs) still arrive in squadron strength and for the last few days a northern flicker and blue jay (separately) have been regulars.  A couple of times a crow has taken a few bites.  And the crow looks REALLY huge compared to the other birds. 
   (dw -- watching the crow -- "Where do crows nest, do you know?"  DA:  "I don't know, trees, tombstones, maybe."  dw:  " O, of course.  They nest in the top of masts."  DA:  "Well, I suppose but ---"
And I got it eventually -- fortunately I'm usually not that slow)
   Starlings come by and whenever I see them I chase them away -- a foul bird.  And so far I haven't seen any robins  (turdus migratorius -- an unfortunate name) -- For three or four years robins nested over the patio but they haven't for a while.
   And the marriage plans of Prince Bill and Kate are still closely covered in the news.  Why does anyone care?  At least on this side of the Atlantic, wasn't the Revolutionary War about this sort of stuff.  The Windsors pretty much define unearned privilege.  At least in this country the privileged are defined by their wealth -- which (for the most part) they stole fair and square.  DA

No comments:

Post a Comment