Sunday, March 6, 2011

"Crash" -- Bicyclist Nonpareil

   Riding home after my Thursday session at the gym, I had an event on my bicycle.  At one point on my usual route home I cut through an alley and go a half-block on a sidewalk (avoiding two stop lights).  Thursday a storm drain was blocked, forming a large puddle that was over the curb and covering part of the sidewalk.  I proceded along (slowly)  -- perhaps not giving the location all of the attention it required --  aiming for the wheelchair cut-out in the curb.   With the puddle and all, I missed the cut-out, hit the curb  at an angle, and got dumped off my bike onto the sidewalk.  No real damage was done.  I bruised my hand and hip (and have been stiff for the last three days), and the bike was untouched.  (the handlebars got skewed but I just held the front wheel and twisted them back).   I found it difficult to maintain my image of a cool bicycling dude while laying on the sidewalk with my feet in a mud puddle.  The image was further tarnished with the slow-motion epic of standing up.  (cue sound effects:  murmured curses, moans and groans).  The rest of the ride went well -- largely because I didn't stiffen up for a couple of hours.  An instructional moment I didn't really want. 
   Otherwise the week has been uneventful.  dw has been working nearly every day.  (as usual a mixed "blessing").  Two Wisconsin friends have each gotten wheaton terrier puppies and have been sending cute puppy pics.  I've finished a painting that I'm undecided about.  It might get painted over.  I read "Beatrice and Virgil" by Yann Martel.  (the author of "The Life of Pi")  It's sort of a novel about a novel about a holocaust play (and not as convoluted as that sounds) -- I thought it was good, but not nearly as good as "Pi".  And that's my literary criticism for the moment. And so it goes.  DA

     "I got nothin'."  Well, maybe I could comment on the puppy photos.  They were pretty cute.  Still not getting a pet, though, as we are gone too often.  And yes, I have been working more lately.  Complained I wasn't getting enough hours and now I am getting plenty.  Be careful what you wish for...  It's a good thing that I'm working as it keeps me busy.  Other than that not much is going on and I am eagerly awaiting a sign of spring/summer that doesn't involve a lot of rain.  So far no luck but I have enjoyed the blooming daffodils and crocuses that are popping up in the middle of the yard.  And with that I will say adieu.  dw

No comments:

Post a Comment