Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Blizzard of 2011 Reprise

  We woke up to a scant inch of snow this morning but by the time I left for the gym at 8:30 it had started to melt.  Of some interest, the snow area seemed to be limited to a radius of a couple of miles centered on N. Portland.  The rest of Portland, including the West Hills (1000+ feet higher than the rest of the city) didn't get any snow.  I had expected some trouble getting over the West Hills to get to a doctor's appointment scheduled after the gym, but I had no trouble at all. 
   The doctor said it's all good with my heart.  All the tests came out positive except for tri-glycerides so I'm now expected to swallow four capsules of fish oil every day. 
   I went to the store to get the fish oil capsules and to get my prescriptions refilled -- more on that in a moment.  I was looking at the bottles of fish oil -- making sure that whatever I bought wasn't made in China (as far as I'm concerned, if it's made in China it's probably not worth eating, and it might even be toxic) -- anyway, while looking I discovered that one can still buy bottles of liquid cod-liver oil.  The same foul horror I was forced to swallow when I was a child.  A chill went up my spine.  I picked up a bottle and looked at it with the same morbid fascination I would have toward an oozing carbuncle.  I can still remember, nearly 60 years after the fact, the thick fishy oil coating my throat and mouth. 
   On a related note.  One of my prescriptions -- Plavix -- has seen a price increase of 23% in six months.  My cost was $100 with my insurance picking up the rest of the $440 price.  Could that increase be related to the drug company's patent that is due to expire at the end of the year?   Might things like this have something to do with the rapid rise in health care costs? 
   Otherwise not much is happening.  dw has been working more often.  I've been exercising and doing some things (art stuff  and other projects) around the house.  The weather has been typical late winter early spring -- wet and gloomy with an occasional hour or two of sunshine.  Reading:  I finished Pliny and some unexceptional mysteries and now I don't have anything at hand that's interesting.  Tomorrow I'll go to the library and look for something.  DA

No comments:

Post a Comment