Friday, March 11, 2011

Bloomin' Fleurs

     I talked to Rosemary L. (my sister) earlier, inquiring about Drew L. (her number two son) who lives in Okinawa with his daughter Tricia.  He was unaffected by the giant earthquake, which was far enough away from Okinawa that damage was minimal (I don't know about any damage from a tsumani).  A relief to everyone. 
     Since I haven't anything more to say about the quake -- either witty or profound or enlightening -- I'll just ignore it.  (Although watching television and seeing people walking on the beach -- in spite of the tsumani warnings -- reminded me that Darwin's 'survival of the fittest' can sometimes lead to a useful culling of the herd)
   The crocuses are in full bloom with the earliest ones starting to fade.  Daffodils are blooming everywhere (although our particular plants seem to be retarded) and the tulips are in leaf and starting to show buds. 

--- "Consider the daffodil.  And while you're doing that, I'll be over here going through your stuff." Jack Handey ---

    I'm back on my bicycle as of today.  I rode down town for a couple of errands -- about 11 miles round-trip.  The short lay-off caused me to lose some of my keen bicycling edge, although I'm not back to where I was a few months ago.  Then, on one occasion, I was passed by a girl with magenta hair, wearing flip-flops and smoking a cigar.  (But even then, not to be immodest, I passed a guy riding no-hands and playing a guitar)   The ride bothered my hand a bit -- it's still bruised -- but shifting positions on the handle bars provided adequate relief.   The ride was uneventful with excellent riding weather.  Scattered clouds, no rain, light breeze and cool -- a perfect day to be on a bike. 
   Yesterday I drove about 20 miles north to visit a friend Terry L.  We were frequent climbing partners for 10 years or so, and we've always been good friends.  He was my best man when dw and I married.  Over the last few years we've been out of touch, save the occasional phone call or Christmas card and a visit was long overdue.  It was an excellent visit.  He and his wife built a lovely house on the Clark River and he has the life he has always wanted.  He is something of a recluse, though not in a tousled-hair mad-gaze way, and seems quite content to spend his days messing with his books and reading (he's a book scout with a large -- 2000 books or so -- library of collectable books).  He's an autodidact and remains the only person I know who read "Paradise Lost" and "Paradise Regained" only because he thought he should. 

    --- Malt does more than Milton can, to justify God's ways to man ---

    A couple of days ago dw and I watched "American Splendor" a movie about and by Harvey Pekar (who wrote the same named illustrated novel series)  It's an excellent movie.  I'm presently reading "the Polysyllabic Spree" by Nick Hornby --- a collection of essays.  Not his finest work, in my opinion, but still a good read.  DA

And I'm reading Patricia Cornwell's "Portrait of a Killer"... really, which would you rather read???  What's a polysyllabic spree?  Probably should read the book and find out, eh?  "American Splendor" was worth watching even if I didn't know who Harvey Pekar was in the beginning.  We also watched "My Favorite Year" with Peter O'Toole - one of my favorite movies and hard to believe it was made in 1982.  That's 29 years ago!!!  Yikes.  That's all.  dw

  

No comments:

Post a Comment