Thursday, March 17, 2011

Pi Day

      Pi day has come and gone and no one sent dw or I a card.  Not a great surprise since we didn't send cards but doesn't Pi day have more significance than St. Patricks day?  After all, without pi, we wouldn't have circles.  Moreover, Pi day is also Einstein's birthday and without him we wouldn't have the space-time continuum.  To celebrate the occasion I bought a pie (mmmm, pie!)  which wasn't particularly good but it was on sale and was a PIE.  (mmmm, pie!).
    More bike trouble today.  The rear wheel started wobbling on my ride to the gym.  After climbing I looked at it and found a broken spoke.  I did some adjusting on the other spokes and rode home, passing three bike shops -- all of which were closed.  None of it was a big deal, I just rode more slowly -- enjoying the heavy rain that started when I passed the first closed bike shop.  This afternoon I put the bike in the pickup (rather than ride) and took it to a shop.  They replaced the spoke, trued the wheel and replaced the inner tube (the old one was heavily patched) for $28 -- seemed reasonable to me.  The bike mechanic said I might have damaged the spoke when I tightened it without holding the spoke steady -- putting too much twisting tension on the spoke.  Oh well.
   As part of the new healthier me, I'm buying low/no cholesterol margarine.  The next to last one I bought was Smart Balance.  Both dw and I thought it had a fishy taste (just what you want with a butter substitute) but I dismissed it as a taste aberrancy, until the other morning while eating fish-flavored toast, I looked at the ingredients label.  Smart Balance puts fish oil in its margarine.  Fish oil is a healthy oil, but I don't want in on my toast, or anywhere else it doesn't belong.  So I tossed the Smart Balance and bought something else. 
   Reading:  finished "Fermat's Last Theorem" (Amir Aczel) which is more interesting than it sounds -- although a bit heavy with math.  Nearly done with "The Horizonal Everest" (Jerry Kobalenko) a history of exploration of and J. K.'s hikes around Ellesmere Island -- very interesting (needs more pictures) writing about a place I'd like to see.  And I just started "The Grave of Alice B. Toklas" (Otto Friedrich) a collection of un-connected essays.  O.F. was (is?) a reporter -- Time, Newsweek, etc -- and I've read a couple of his other books.  He's a good read -- well written entertaining history.  DA

No comments:

Post a Comment