Saturday, June 11, 2011

I'll Fly Away

   Or rather dw flew away for a week in Wisconsin.  A week of family and friends and way better weather than the Midwest had last week (90's and humidity = suicidal thoughts for dw).  So starting at 12:30 a.m. today I'm on my own for 168 hrs -- I plan to do pretty much what I did last week and the week before that:  A few visits to the gym, messing about in the garage, perhaps a hike and this being the season for grass explosions, mowing the lawn. 
   I've been practicing welding.  I finished cleaning the steel sculpture I've been working on -- it was all ready for painting but I decided to add a few pieces.  Rather than just slap them on and then clean up the sloppy welds (my usual practice) I'm upping my welding technique so the clean-up -- filing and grinding -- should go a lot quicker.  The practice piece is an 18 inch maquette that I might keep for future reference, or just as likely, toss  into the re-cycle bin. 
   A moment of green smugness:  Last Monday was garbage collection day.  We had less than one 35 gallon can for the month.  We are so good. 
   "Travels In Siberia" (Ian Frazier) is my book of the week.  It's quite a good read,  history and a chronicle of his  travels across Russia.  A tidbit:  apparently Rasputin smelled like a goat.  That might explain his adult behavior.  Think of his poor mother who might have done her best, but imagine trying to sing a lullaby to a baby named Rasputin who smells like a goat.   Last week I didn't make it all the way through Beckett.  I read those books 35 or 40 years ago but in some ways my tastes have changed and today I'm just not interested enough in his style to read three (short) novels in a row.  So it goes.  DA  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment