Sunday, June 26, 2011

How Does Our Garden Grow?

No silver bells or cockle shells
And but one pretty maid to hoe ---
   Our vege garden grows apace!  The snow peas are taking off, although they don't provide much shade to the (background) seating area.  Perhaps later -- and the jury is still out regarding the size of the upcoming harvest.  The corn (on the left) isn't going to make the "knee high by the Fourth of July" mantra -- unless you're measuring against a short ankle biter.  But we still have hopes.  Once, about thirty-five years ago, I also planted some corn in a small garden.  I harvested three or four ears, each with a dozen or so kernels.  Mother Nature has had it in for my garden adventures ever since (at the age of four) I gagged on some lima beans and pronounced them unfit for man or beast. 
   On the Internet I recently saw that Burger King is planning to bring out a SPAM BURGER.  They'll introduce it first in Japan and then, depending on the reception it gets, spread it around the world. 
I'm certainly not joking about the Japanese disaster -- the earthquake, tsunami, nuclear meltdown -- But haven't they suffered enough?  A Burger King Spam Burger? 
  ( dw and I, being occasional early adopters, have already had a Spam Burger.  We each had one at the actual font of all things Spam:   Austin, Minn.  --  And to tell the truth, it wasn't too bad, although I don't need to eat another one.)
   Books:  Just one.  "Memories of My Melancholy Whores" (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)  It's about a 90 year old who falls in love (for the first time) with a 14 year old virginal prostitute.  (They don't consummate)  --  This would be a good introduction for anyone who hasn't read Marquez (in my opinion one of the greatest of contemporary authors).  The magical realism only hovers in the background and the writing is easier than some of his works -- he uses more than one sentence in this book :-) --  And it's a short and quick read.  DA
   P.S. Earlier today I got, secondhand, a flattering review (from Teri G. -- a longtime friend of dw) of this blog.  More! More!

No comments:

Post a Comment