Saturday, May 14, 2011

Our Version of Excitement

   A couple of days ago, I bought a MIG welder -- its a type of arc welder that's supposed to be much easier to use.  I hope it's as easy as advertised (I also bought a book on how to use it) since my welding is good enough to stick things together but generally doesn't look very good.  (My common approach to things:  "How hard can it be?" is usually serviceable but sometimes the results aren't very pretty)  If nothing else, I have a new toy to play with. 
   The neighborhood birds have been pigging out on our two feeders.  The west-side one in particular is a favorite, to the extent that they'll empty it in three or four days -- previously one fill would last nearly two weeks.  (dw:  "I think the blue jays are hoovering up all the seeds")   We have four types that are regulars and a couple lbjs that drop in for the occasional nosh.  The most interesting is the crow that will peck at the suet.  The size difference between a crow and a finch is stunning.  I have a few details to work out but I'd like to offer a rotting steak or two which would (with luck) attract a few buzzards.
   I believe I mentioned that I nearly ran into my new tiled bench (which dw warned me about, but I didn't think would be a problem).  So today I spent some time setting up a dangling red ball system (similar to the dangling tennis ball that's common in garages)  to warn me against ruining my wonderful bench.  As I was puttering around measuring things and etc. dw suggested I just put a couple of bricks down so when the tires bumped them I would know when to stop.  (Where I park, it's best to back in and I can't see the bench).  I said:  "Well, yeah, that'd work if you want to do it the easy way"  So I did do it the easy way -- actually using a section of 4X4 spiked down with some rebar.
And now I have a couple of red Nerf balls sitting idle on my hands. 
   Finally, for the last couple of months dw has been taking care of dinner every Saturday night.  (either cooking, take-out or eat out)  Tonight we were going to go to St. John's McMenamins and have a Phili cheese steak -- in honor of Maggie N-A who had a graduation party today (in Philadelphia)  -- I got the notification from Cary N. yesterday and I called with congratulations this afternoon.  So we set out for the pub not remembering that today was the St. John's parade/bizarre-battle-of-the-bands yearly event.  We both have moderate to severe allergic reactions to crowds so we went to a different location ("Pause" -- a restaurant/tavern) and had a Cuban sandwich -- ham, pulled pork, aiole sauce and some other stuff -- good not great. 
   Tomorrow it's back to the gym and I might ride my bike -- my pulled/strained/sprained/who-knows-what-the-hell leg is much better.  Time to get back in the saddle, so to speak DA

No comments:

Post a Comment