Thursday, April 7, 2011

On The Road Again

   We're getting ready for a short (one week) road trip.  Probably we'll drive to Las Vegas, perhaps attend a show, certainly do some desert hikes and then come home.  Mostly it's a trip to get away from Portland rain and gloom. (and also to celebrate our 20th anniversary -- it doesn't seem that long)   dw is working today so I tended to stopping the mail and newspaper, confirming the house sitter, getting some books on tape and car snacks, etc. etc.  (I went to the gym this morning -- rode my bike) And still have had plenty of time to do the errands.  Prep for traveling is routine by now. 
   The local Eagles Lodge is having their annual fund-raising carnival.  It's a modest affair with four or five rides, a fun house, corn dogs and cotton candy.  A four booth arcade completes the event.  All unremarkable except they have it every year at this time.  It's always cold and wet (but the neon lights on the rides and booths make nice reflections in the puddles and are nicely blurred by the rain) and I don't understand how they make enough money to make it worth while.  And of course the carnival (Clark Shows Northwest) takes their cut off the top.  It's a mystery.  Perhaps they're running a very subtle money laundering scheme.  Perhaps they're in cahoots with the next door Fabic Wod.  
   (Fabic Wod is a fabric store four blocks from our house.  It has been up and running for more than 20 years and yet we NEVER see anyone shopping there.  dw thinks they are laundering money.  Maybe as much as a couple of hundred a month.  Over the years their original sign, "Fabric World" lost several letters and became "Fabic Wod")
   I had a minor -- read the label -- wake-up call a few days ago.  I've been taking Metamucil three times a day for several months.  It's supposed to help reduce cholesterol and the Metamucil plus oatmeal and the statin drugs all have done their job -- my cholesterol levels are excellent.  (re: this topic, on another time I'll toss in a few fart jokes -- always welcome in moderation)   Back to the point -- Metamucil is HALF SUGAR -- glucose to be precise.  Glucose, fructose, sucrose, etc. they're ALL SUGAR.  So this supposedly healthful product is half sugar.  There's nothing wrong with sugar -- in it's place -- I enjoy the occasional candy bar -- I just had one three hours ago -- But making your colon-blow 50% sugar is over the top.  I've switched to a different brand. 
   I'm reading "The Science of Fear" by Daniel Gardner.  It's about how advertisers, politicians, etc promote and encourage fear to sell, or to get your vote, or to make you hate someone.  And I finished "I Am The Only Running Footman" by Martha Grimes.  I enjoy her books, she's not quite a cozy mystery writer and she generally suits my mood.  Actually, I read the book some time ago but I didn't recognize it until I was 2/3's of the way done.  Mysteries are good that way (for me).  I only need a half dozen or so because I never remember them.  On a six month cycle six novels will see me through a couple of years DA

No comments:

Post a Comment