Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Bonnets

   Unfortunately (and unusually) I didn't actually see any.  I bicycled to the gym this morning, passing, both going and coming, several churches.  But I guess my timing was off because I missed any parade of ladies in their Easter Bonnets, a sight I've enjoyed in the past.  Even the LifeLine Church, a corner store-front church, which is usually good for some nice heavy bass thumping music, was quiet as I passed.  I could actually go to church and get the spectacle, along with (some might say) some needed religion but once again I failed to do so. 
   Speaking of bonnets, a few days ago, I heard a milliner interviewed on NPR.  She was speaking of Kate's (of Bill & Kate) preference for wearing "fascinators" -- a small beanie-like hat (without a propeller) frequently made of tinsel and sequins, or feathers.  I don't know what sort of feathers but I doubt they are from some chicken who gave it's all for buffalo wings and  fascinators.   It seems a bit twee to me, but I think a proper hat will keep the sun out of your eyes and the rain off your glasses. 
   The gym was more strenuous than usual.  My climbing partner (John G.) was having a health problem (of undetermined seriousness) so I down-climbed every climb.   Easing the strain on John (he didn't have to lower me) and nearly doubling my exertions.  (Easing the strain on John:  It doesn't help that I out-weigh him by 60 lbs. or so)  Anyway an unusually rigorous workout. 
   As a gym side-bar:  Part of the bike ride there is on Tillamook St.  -- It's an interesting street, with several blocks of small, working-class victorians -- most in poor to medium condition, but restorations are starting.  Mid-way on the south side of one block, some resident owns (or drives) a Mercedes sports-car, coupe.  (Not the 100+G model, but the 40someG -- nearly chump-change -- model)  It's always parked in the street, and the owner always puts an orange traffic cone by each corner of the car.  I can't really blame the driver, but if some toss-pot is going to side-swipe your car I doubt that traffic cones will help. 
   And leaving the library this afternoon, I found a dime on the sidewalk.  Only twenty-four more and I can buy a latte.  DA
  

No comments:

Post a Comment