Friday, January 28, 2011

Tree Stages Violent Protest?

   After the clear stress test of last week, I've stopped taking the metoprolol (on Dr.'s suggestion) and my breathing  as well as the occasional heart thumping and banging seems to have improved.  Now instead of feeling like I'm trying to exercise at 15,000 ft, it feels like I'm trying to exercise at fat and unfit.  A definite improvement.
   On my walk on Wednesday I passed a two story house that had a tree fall on it.  A BIG TREE.  (in protest of the t-rex trunk dismemberment?)  It was an Oregon white oak (as was the t-rex tree) more than four feet in diameter.  In addition to the ruined roof, the NW and NE corners were visibly out of plumb.  I talked to a neighbor who said the owner (who was unhurt, although home) had heard nails popping loose from the dry-wall and the wood work.  None of the doors in the house work properly, they either don't or barely open and close in the part of the house farthest from the tree damage, and in the rooms next to the impact area -- the doors are immoveable.  It's probable that the house is totally destroyed.  It might be possible to twist it back into shape, but I doubt it.  After tree people had used chain saws to cut  what they could the company involved brought in a heavy-duty mobile crane to lift the tree trunk. 
    I didn't see the rating on the crane, but from it's size I'd guess it was rated to lift 50 tons.  It was not a small operation. 
    In other news, there isn't much.  dw is still in Wisconsin.  I'm messing about at home.  The sculpture and painting are going OK, but I'm not having any epochal breakthroughs.  I have decided to sell some of my books.  I've sorted out about 250 that I'll get rid of.  I'm not selling any that have particular value, mostly because I don't feel like doing the research to make sure I'm not ripped off.  As I was hanging the old crutches, I thought -- there's too much crap in this room -- even for me.  So some of the books are going.  DA

No comments:

Post a Comment