Friday, March 30, 2012

R.U.R.

(R.U.R. or Rossum's Universal Robots -- a 1920 play by the Czech playwright, Karel Capek. I read it in college but I don't remember it, good or bad. It did, however introduce the word "robot" into the English language)

   And if I'm not feeling robot-like (what with a new total of seven pieces of metal and plastic installed in my interior), I am beginning to resemble the $6,000,000 Man (It's not that bad, but thank god for insurance)  -- It's too bad there isn't some sort of  installable window for the knee -- I could put the kids with their  silly little "piercings" in their proper place.  Or I could emulate grandson Josh who got a ankle to knee tat that illustrates his broken-leg surgery.

   The recovery and rehab are proceeding with not much to say about them. It hasn't been as painful as I heard it would be (it's very tolerable -- I'm voting to award a Nobel prize to everyone who has invented an analgesic). I'm walking about -- with crutches for balance only -- and am getting flexibility back. The staples came out Wednesday, and the Doctor's PA said I'm making excellent progress -- It might even be good to slow down on the stretching so I don't rip open the incision.

  In other news, there isn't any. Very little of interest happens when your day consists of moving from the couch with leg propped up, to some exercises and back to the couch -- with ice this time.
 
  A special commendation for my private home-care nurse, dw, who has been doing a stellar job. It's really nice having your needs taken care of before you really need them.

Books:  Quantum Man (Lawrence M. Krauss)  a biography of Richard Feynman life in science. With clear explanations of electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. The author does an excellent job with his discussions of physics, and Feynman is an intriguing subject.
   Unfamiliar Fishes (Sarah Vowell) A brief history of Hawaii. Up to her usual form, Vowell is not a humor writer but she is frequently humorous. In this book, the missionaries weren't as bad as they could have been, the Yankee whalers, soldiers, businessmen, et al, were consistently foul.  But when you're part of Manifest Destiny it's to be expected and forgiven (or at least ignored)  DA
  

No comments:

Post a Comment