Sunday, August 28, 2011

Gallimaufry

   Lately it seems I've been giving this blog something of a cloacal theme, so I thought I'd feature a photo of a toilet from the men's room in the Kohler Art Museum (Sheboygan, Wisconsin).  I wrote about the museum on 9-14-2010.  The entire room, walls, sinks, urinals is similarly decorated.  There are five other restrooms in the museum, each decorated with a different theme.  The museum itself still ranks as one of the high-lights from that car trip.

   But to the point of this blog:  Several times and several different people have wondered about the photo I use on my facebook page -- the one of me in a Viking helmet, horns turned down.  I bought the helmet on the same car trip as the Kohler, but at a later date in Kensington, Minn: home of the Kensington Runestone (a faux Viking relic)  Apparently the good folks in Kensington, and perhaps all of Minnesota, believe the runestone is real.  You might think it unlikely a whole city, let alone a state, would be so gullible -- But the fine folks there also elected Michele (Crazy Eyes) Bachmann and Tim (I'm going to save the USA from the heathen liberals! -- Oh, -- Well -- Never mind!) Pawlenty.  So properly parsing out the Minnesota belief system might not be possible.
   So dw and I visited the Official Runestone Gift Shop where I found the helmet.  I hesitated a bit, but finally bought it.  (the pic is for anyone who hasn't noticed the facebook pic).  Later, as dw was driving,  I found the horns are not only removable they are reversible so for the rest of the trip we used the horny positions as an indication of the appeal of any particular site.  Two horns up (good!). One up, one down (so-so). And two down, not so great.  This specific picture was taken at a field of sand dunes in eastern Idaho and was actually two horns way down.

   Since I started writing this blog I've been looking at other blogs.  Most are commercial or not worth looking at (in my opinion), but I've been surprised at the amount of interesting writing available on the web.  A couple I've been reading:  Other Men's Flowers (http://omf.blogspot.com) -- written by Tony (who commented about my P.C. Wren bit -- thanks)  He's a few years older than me, frequently funny, occasionally dyspeptic and always enjoyable.  Another is "Attack Of The Redneck Mommy" written by a young woman about her life as a mother and other -- Also consistently amusing  (I don't have an address for her blog --- the title should work).   (while I'm writing about blogging -- thanks for the greeting Laurie)
  
    To continue on the subject of modern communications:  A few days ago a nephew-in-law -- (is there such a thing? -- he's married to one of my nieces so we're some sort of relations) -- Joe H. -- posted a simple cypher on facebook, (in support of the U.S. Armed Forces) and suggested his readers  cut and paste and post it -- A reasonable thought but I pointed out that cutting and pasting was unlikely to happen on my watch (I'm not a Luddite but my motto web-wise and other is KISS -- keep it simple stupid) On return post Joe did a short tutorial (apparently I too can cut and paste) but mentioned the task is more difficult with an iphone.  As if -- a different young friend (Alan M.) -- said my cell phone is the equivalent of a tricycle with training wheels.  Ha!! Take that Steve Jobs.

Books:  Finished "Life" (Keith Richards) -- There's a long boring section in the last half when he writes about his drug-addled period.  Boring, particularly since he periodically insists he didn't kill himself because of his wise use of drugs.  He really doesn't acknowledge that he's still alive just because of dumb stupid luck.  And there's a lot of "I played with this guy, or that gal or her or him" -- not interesting to me but others might find it so.  And so it goes.  DA


    

No comments:

Post a Comment