Monday, August 8, 2011

Holy Toast

   It has come to my attention that dw doesn't care for Sundays.  Even though, as she puts it, her family didn't go to church on Sundays -- or any other day, for that matter.  Some might say that church-going could improve Sundays (Kate G. suggested that a simple genuflection in front of our Toasted Virgin would be a good substitute for church) but I think her ennui is caused by a strong sense of unrealized Sunday Potential.  We could do nearly anything on Sundays:  A short car trip,  A hike in the Columbia Gorge, Visit friends or relatives, do any number of things in Portland -- but come the day we seldom do any of the above.  dw will usually visit a friend (skipping the chance to pop in and visit a stranger) and I thoroughly read the paper, work up a good case of umbrage, and give the paper a hard shake which satisfies my need for excitement.  
   But back to the Madonna Col Butter:  The painting in the background is an older work of mine -- called by Sean A. (oldest son) The Sunny Side Up Egg.  It's actual title is "Fall Sunset", or "Apocalypse Then", or "What? It Was The Sixties!"  It's hanging outside to add some interest to a dull section of fence, and the Virgin On Toast was a later improvement.  I haven't previously written about the Miracle Of The Toast because I worry that our back yard will become a pilgrimage site and I'll have a continuous job of shooing away people crawling through the alley -- giving each a crumb from the Blessed Loaf, the very origin of the Holy Mother of Baked Flour And Yeast.  (It's called Wonder Bread for a reason).  But to enliven our Sundays I am now sharing our own  Miracle Of The GE Toaster.  Please call for an appointment if you need to share the Awesome Buttered Madonna.

   In my last post, I wrote of Peninsula Park and the several hundred rose bushes.  I checked and there are 10,000 rose bushes -- each a different variety.  No wonder the scent is so strong. 

   Books:  I finished Mark Twain's Autobiography -- or finished the part he actually wrote or dictated.  There are several hundred pages of notes and appendices which I largely skipped.  I enjoyed as much as I read but, to be truthful, the hundreds of pages of scholarly research was more than I am interested in.  I'm now reading "Napoleon's Buttons" (Penny Le Couteur & Jay Burreson) -- A collection of essays about "17 molecules that changed history" (the sub-title).  They write about such things as tobacco and caffeine and pepper.  It's a good read.  DA

  

No comments:

Post a Comment