Friday, September 9, 2011

An Intriguing Offer

  Several days ago I received an email informing me that I have been selected for the Registry Of Distinguished Women.   I immediately abandoned the game of solitaire I was playing, even though I nearly had a win, and rushed into the living room to tell dw of the new honor.  dw and I rarely practice one-up-manship, but I did (modestly) point out that she hadn't been selected, and since I had been selected, some kind of special recognition would be appropriate.  dw turned a page in the book she was reading and said  "That's nice, dear.  It's really special."
   I recognize being placed in the company of Distinguished Women carries a heavy responsibility along with the great honor so after some deep thoughts I have concluded that I need to continue my life as I have been living it.  My life has been notable enough for the selection so ipso facto my present manner is good (and distinguished) enough for the honor. 
   In full disclosure:  dw and I share the same email address, so the offer might have been meant for her.  Also, though it was meant for me, it might be contingent on a sex change operation (to fix the world-wide imbalance caused by Chas Bono's switch to the other side).  If that's the case the Registry of Distinguished Women is just SOL.  I'm entirely happy with the hardware I've got.  The knees need a tune-up but otherwise everything is fine the way it is. 
   Books:  "The Thief At The End Of The World"  (Joe Jackson)  How Henry Wickham smuggled rubber tree seeds away from the Amazon into England -- ending Brazil's monopoly on rubber.  An interesting read.  It worked well for Great Britain -- Wickham went from one failure to another.  And  "Group Theory In The Bedroom and Other Mathematical Diversions"  (Brian Hayes)   A series of essays concerning math curiosities and conundrums.  Interesting with some occasional heavy sledding.  And so it goes.  DA

No comments:

Post a Comment