Thursday, February 10, 2011

Nothing Changes

   Next week perhaps I'll create an adventure, since we're not having any real ones.  The high-light of my week was losing a crown.  Fortunately I didn't swallow it so no unpleasant adventures were required to save it.  Went to the dentist and had it glued back on.  We took the books into Powells to sell -- I got about half of what I had hoped for.  Oh well.  The day after we were selling the books I read in the paper that Powells was laying off 31 employees so perhaps I was lucky to get what I did. 
   I'm continuing my gym sessions.  Went in today and got spanked on a climb I should have done easily.  Not a stellar day, although the bike ride there and back was pleasant:  Nice weather (just a little cool) and light traffic.  
   dw was turned down for a job she had applied for.  The job wasn't a particularly good fit (because of scheduled hours and location) but the rejection is still upsetting.  It all could be a lot worse, but still ...DA

     Yeah, the job market is not good.  Why am I even looking?  Because I have not been getting enough hours at my current per diem job.  Hearing that Powells laid off 31 employees makes me question the rhetoric that the economy is improving, if slowly.  Well not in Wessel World and it's frustrating.  On a more cheerful note (and because I cannot remember if it was in a previous blog) I will brag about my quick escape from the Blizzard of 2011.  I was in Madison when Part I of a two part blizzard struck 22 states in the middle of the country.  My return to Portland was scheduled for Wed - smack dab in the middle of Part II which mentioned 22 inches of additional snow so I called Delta and found an early flight - that Tuesday afternoon.  Fortunately my traveling light habit allowed me plenty of time to get ready and hop on board and get back to Portland via Minneapolis without any problems.  My flight was the only one leaving that Tuesday  - all others were cancelled so I lucked out.   That was a good thnig or I could still be there...
     My only regret is not being in Wis. when the Packers won the Super Bowl.  I think I could hear the cheers from here (not including my own, of course).  Good times.  dw

No comments:

Post a Comment