Sunday, October 17, 2010

Back in PDX- dw

Safely home and all is well.  Arrived 9pm Sat. 10/16/10 in time to unload the car and watch British comedies on PBS (I have my priorities!).  The 520 mile drive from Twin Falls, Idaho was smooth sailing as there wasn't much wind - frequently an issue in southern ID and the Gorge - and cruise control allowed for driving long hours.  That and NPR and Dave Barry "I'll Mature When I'm Dead" - pretty funny, even listening to it the second time.  I wanted a special end to the trip so we stopped in Hood River for dinner at Brians Pourhouse - a place of delicious food and excellent service.  Tried the chocolate martini and I'm in trouble now!!!!!  No wonder martinis are so popular - they can be a taste treat.  Didn't interfere with my fish taco and pear cobbler dessert either.  The ambience of Brians was enhanced by many high school prom persons - dressed to the nines and texting each other during dinner, while standing in the doorway and on the sidewalk waiting to get in.  Hood River Harvest Festival was also going on so H.R. was crowded and hoppin'.  It was still very enjoyable (perhaps enhanced by the chocolate martini, but I only had one!).
     The drive from Hood River to Portland was the first night driving in a long time.  I usually avoid it because you miss the sights and I'm not fond of driving at night.  It went all right but I was happy to see the lights of Portland.  Even if it meant I lost the bet.  I said it would start raining at Cascade Locks and Dennis said it would not be raining at all.  The pessimist and the optimist return home... He was right.  I paid him the $1. 
     Arrived to the welcome lights of home - thank you Jackie.  Now the work begins.  Cleaning the car, clothes, camping gear and putting away the brochures, flyers, books, maps and souvenirs (Dennis-rocks from the Gaspe, Dianne-needlework project from Vermont).  Tomorrow I'll pick up the "held mail" and spend a great deal of time sorting out the junk from the real stuff.  Five and a half weeks of mail is a lot of mail.  Then I will gather all my internal and external resources and download the photos off the camera onto the computer.  Or go to Walgreens and have them make a CD!  I'm leaning toward Walgreens...  Good thing I don't work until Fri Oct. 22 - thank you Nancy!
     Thank you for reading, hope it brought a smile or two to you.  dw
P.S.  Data will follow after I figure it out i.e. average gas mileage, etc.  Have to do the conversion of liters to gallons for the Canada portion.  I will mention we covered 9697 miles in 5 weeks, 4 days of travel.  dw

No comments:

Post a Comment