Saturday, May 24, 2014

Sea And Sand, Sea And Sand Redux

To celebrate our anniversary, dw and I spent two nights at the Sylvia Beach Hotel in Newport. The owner of the hotel also owns Rimsky-Korsakoffee House, a coffee house known for conversation and classical music, and also known for being the location of our second date. And look where that date brought us.

The 100 year old hotel is directly on the beach, so close that when the 9 earthquake and accompanying tsunami hits, anyone in the hotel had better be a really good swimmer. Our room was the Hemingway Room --- each hotel room is decorated to reflect, and stocked with books from, a different author: Ken Kesey, Mark Twain, Shakespeare, Poe, etc. and the dining room is known as the Tables of Content. The top floor has a respectable library, a large selection of picture puzzles, board games and magazines -- coffee from an actual coffee maker and in the evening hot mulled wine. And anyone staying there needs to enjoy such things for there are no TVs or radios. No wifi -- although I imagine cell phones would work. In all, a very pleasant place to spend a few days.

Other than lolling around the library we didn't do much. Cruised the town, which occupied an hour or so. Walked to the Yaquina Head lighthouse (7 miles round trip), which occupied several hours. Had dinner (with Guinness, of course) at Nana's Irish Pub two blocks from the hotel  -- during that dinner, we were called "cute" -- not so unusual for dw, but a first for me, at least a first in the last 60 years. 
     Our waiter was a dead ringer for Robson Green, the English actor. After some verbal thrashing around between dw and I:
Me: "Doesn't our waiter look just like that actor guy you like so much?"
dw: "I'm gonna need more than that."
"You know, your boyfriend. That English guy in McCabe and Mrs. Robinson." 
Then a woman at a table next to ours said: "You mean Robson Green? I was thinking the same thing."
   And we chatted for a while about the actor and PBS and other things. Then the woman (who was with her father, grandfather, or antediluvian husband -- it wasn't clear) said: "You guys are so cute. You're talking and laughing and having fun. I see so many couples just sit there without talking or anything."
   The woman was pleasant, and the conversation was pleasant, but I was taken aback. When I conjure up a self-image, depending on my mood, assorted words come up -- generally positive or  complimentary, sometimes not -- but I have never thought of myself as "cute". And I've never thought of dw and I as a "cute" couple. We weren't offended, but we were surprised and actually sort of pleased.   

-------------------------------------------------

A couple of weeks later RD and I (names are changed to shield the guilty) took a day trip to climb at Smith Rocks in central Oregon. The trip wasn't a complete failure, I led one climb and RD led zero climbs. And I was as slow on the trail and as timid on the climb as I've ever been. The weather was fine, if a bit hot, and the day was lovely -- the fields, grasslands and forests were still green. The mountains were snow covered. Everything about the day was great -- except for the climbing.

     Rescue litter in the climbing area. I considered lying down in it, hoping that some kind souls would pick me up and carry me.


     As I arrived back to the car from the climb, RD's phone rang: A Damsel In Distress!! After some talking and cursing and sighing it seemed that said damsel had lost her car keys someplace in about  100,000 acres of sand at Cannon Beach. Could we help? Said Damsel in Distress couldn't locate a rental car anywhere on the northern coast. The key was one of those with a chip that can't be duplicated except at the dealer --- and the nearest dealer was in Portland. (more cursing and sighing). Oh! Alas, alack the day.
   I admit, I didn't immediately leap to the rescue. Driving to Cannon Beach after the drive to Smith meant nearly a 400 mile drive for the day (on top of the strenuous, if dismal, climbing session). But I volunteered to drive RD to the beach. (he had a second set of keys for the Cannon Beach strandee) After several more phone conversations (more cursing and sighing) we agreed to ride to the rescue as soon as possible.
   We stopped in Portland, picked up some clean clothes and picked up dw who decided to come with us and continued on to the beach. (to be a bit clearer, the stranded maiden is RD's wife and certainly -- at the time -- a Damsel In Distress but not actually a maiden -- I assume)
   In the meantime, the Damsel in Distress had snagged a very nice suite in a motel, again directly on the beach, and again a very poor place to be when the Big One hits. So in the end the four of us had what turned out to be a very pleasant evening.
   RD and Damsel in Distress left early the next morning (things to do and people to see) and dw and I slept in a bit -- had coffee in front of the room's big ocean view window and watched a couple of fishing boats and a whale spouting. The fishing boats didn't actually spout although the whale certainly did.

Then dw and I had a leisurely drive home, completing our beach, and beach redux.

BOOKS: Scipio Africanus, Greater Than Napoleon (B.H. Liddell Hart) For most of the book, Hart explains and analyses  Scipio's victories over Hannibal and Hasdrubal (Hannibal's brother).
    (Scipio: Roman, Hannibal: Carthaginian --- the Punic wars, 235 B.C.E.)
(N.B. from dw: "snore")
   The early chapters are interesting and well written. Hart discusses the politics of the time, as well as the battles.  In the last chapter Hart compares Scipio to Napoleon and Alexander and Caesar and assorted other generals old and new. That part, the compare and contrast -- who cares?  But the bulk of the book is well worth reading.
   Scipio seems to have an assortment of pronunciations:
   "Sip'-e-o" -- I don't like this variation. I think it makes him sound like a tosspot.
   "Sheep'-e-o" -- I don't like this one either. Scipio took names and kicked butt, there wasn't much sheep-like about him.
    "Skip'-e-o" My preference. I think of Scipio happily larking about, slaughtering people, sinking ships, etc. Just sort of skipping around committing mayhem -- The guy you want on your side.
   On the subject of names, what parent would name a poor baby "Hasdrubal"? It sounds like he usually had a load in his pants, or like a tropical disease that causes water retention.

WORD OF THE DAY: Onolatry --- Worship of the donkey or ass. In the past I would have thought such a word was completely unneeded, but with the rise of The Tea Party I can understand it's utility.

NATURAL HISTORY: The quaking aspen has a double hinge arrangement on the stem of each leaf. -- Two sections of the stem are flattened at 90 degrees to each other. That hinge arrangement is what causes the distinctive shimmering effect when wind hits the trees. I have no idea what the evolutionary advantage is for this kind of leaf. (Oh, baby! I love your shimmer! I'd pollenate you any day!)

And so it goes. DJA

1 comment:

  1. P.S. I have no idea why this blog program decided to yellow hi-light that sentence. DJA

    ReplyDelete