Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Wheels Are In Motion

   A quick note about Valentines Day: this is a picture of  two treats for dw and I from Pix -- a patisserie with pastries to die for. These two hearts (chocolate mousse with ganache, and strawberry mousse in a paper thin cookie shell) are two of their plainer creations. They tasted at least as good as they look.
   (Pix has a lunch menu which is good if not exceptional, and a good array of beers and wines. Notable: a float with chocolate beer and ice cream and a favorite of mine, espresso with a shot of grappa -- both much better than they might sound -- sidebar: vanilla ice cream splashed with a good balsamic vinegar is oddly tasty) (alas, I don't expect Pix will comp me with anything in return for this plug)

   The Valentine tree has been taken down, and dw -- still full of ideas for the unfinished sculpture -- redecorated it as a Spring Tree. (with today's weather, dw is being wildly optimistic) I did point out that, while there's no real hurry, I do want the tree back at some point so I can finish it. "All in good time." she said.

   And the wheels are in motion for my knee replacement. Three weeks ago I put on my leg brace, got out my crutches to go for a walk and decided I was totally sick of it. Sick of the discomfort and the fuss and bother every time I want to move, and the occasional knee collapse where I careen around like a drunken sailor. I went to see the surgeon and: surgery scheduled -- done / pre-op physical, asap -- done / pre-op bill -- done / pre-op surgical nurse to explain the horrors of it all -- scheduled / pre-op hospital visit for blood-work, and to make sure I can cover the co-pay and some money right now would be great -- scheduled.  I have the feeling that it's a slow season so everything moves very quickly. The surgery is slated for the middle of March so I should be recovered by summer.  I'm not looking forward to the process. I had a knee operation many years ago and still recall some unpleasant days but I think the end result will be worth it.

   Books: The Invention of Air (Steven Johnson) A biography of J.B. Priestley and the Age of Enlightenment with side trips into B. Franklin, T. Jefferson, J. Adams and etc. The book doesn't specifically address the subject, but I find it interesting that contemporary politicians who preach a return to the "founding principles of this country" are the same ones who sneer at science and education, history and philosophy.  And our "founding fathers" were exemplars of science, education, history and philosophy.  Burden of Desire (Robert MacNeil) A surprisingly lusty novel about Halifax by a respected journalist turned novelist. During WWI an ammunition ship blew up in the Halifax harbor. It was, and still is, the largest non-nuclear man-made explosion ever. MacNeil uses the explosion as a base for this entertaining pot-boiler / coming-of-age novel. The coming-of-age refers to  the characters and to Canada itself.  (and how is that for a book cover blurb?) DA

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with the knee operation, or "procedure" as they call it nowadays.
    I had bilateral knee replacements twelve years ago and they were fine but now one has become painful and must be redone. However, before that I have to have my eighty-first birthday followed by a TURP (don't ask) and then a cataract removed, so the knee will have to wait until the spring. Busy time ahead.

    The bright spot is that we have a National Health Service so it won't cost anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to be a bit more than 10 years ahead of me for all of this stuff. As Bette Davis said: Old age is no place for sissies. And good luck with your procedures (I still like "surgeries" -- it sounds more epochal -- if you need to have someone messing with your body with knives, it should be an event!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi dand,
    Please tell dw that I quite like her Spring Tree. I suspect there is a July 4th tree design percolating as well as Summer and Fall trees.

    I also am wishing you a successful knee surgery and full recovery. (Especially since I suspect you may be wrestling DW for the tree.) :)

    Regards,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I like it myself, and I'll let her know. I imagine that, even finished, the tree will be pressed into continued service for seasonal decoration -- And it occurs to me that I didn't properly reply re: the postponed party. If you do re-schedule, let us know and we'll be happy to come.

      Delete